[Standards] XEP-0060: event message type

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Jul 10 15:25:08 UTC 2008

Kevin Crosbie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice that in XEP-0060, sections 7.1.2.1 and 7.1.2.2, there is no
> type specified in the event message.
> Since receiving these messages is the whole point of pubsub, wouldn't it
> make sense to have a new message type for this so that one can know
> something about the payload of the message?
>
> This would probably mean a change to rfc3921 section 2.1.1 also.

Good luck with that. :)

By which I mean, I don't think we need a new message type. Indeed I
think message type='headline' works quite well here -- the idea behind
the headline type is that it is an event, a notification, the kind of
thing you won't directly reply to (but as in microblogging you might
generate a new message that is related to the original).

/psa