[Standards] XEP-0060: event message type

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Jul 10 15:39:45 UTC 2008

Kevin Crosbie wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Good luck with that. :)
>>

> I like to aim high ;)

Me too, but I don't like to change the core specs more than absolutely
necessary.

>> By which I mean, I don't think we need a new message type. Indeed I
>> think message type='headline' works quite well here -- the idea behind
>> the headline type is that it is an event, a notification, the kind of
>> thing you won't directly reply to (but as in microblogging you might
>> generate a new message that is related to the original).
>
> Yep, headline would certainly be acceptable.   So do you think that it
> makes sense to add this to XEP-0060?

That's probably appropriate. I say "probably" because some XMPP servers
won't store messages of type headline in offline storage (i.e., if you
don't have any available resources when the message is send, it will be
silently discarded instead of delivered to you when you come online).
That is probably desirable for most pubsub events, but some applications
might want to track all pubsub events (e.g., some kind of logging app).
So it might make sense to default the message type to headline but
provide a subscription option to change the type.

/me ponders