[Standards] Questions about xhtml-im

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Fri Jul 18 09:05:01 UTC 2008

Jehan wrote:
> The web is becoming more and more semantic, this would be a shame XMPP,
> which is pretty new, would not be semantic...
>
> 5/ Linked to the previous point, this XEP seems to describe XMPP usage
> only for IM point of view, but it has other usages now

> For instance, there can be notifications, textual data exchange, and
> most probably other cases... And for this, we may need to structure text
> (which then can be rendered according to the given structure!).

On the other hand, note that - while web is mostly HTML, and this HTML
needs to contain everything - XMPP is about XML. So if you want to send
notifications, you use XML namespace designed to send notifications. And
when you want to send user readable text message with formatting, you
can use XML designed for this, which is XHTML.
We want XHTML to format text, not to put there all data we wish to send
and then think how to mark it correctly so that other peer guess its
semantic meaning.

--
Maciek
  xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net