[Standards] New Proto-XEP: Multi-User Gaming

Torsten Grote Torsten.Grote at gmx.de
Fri Jul 18 12:28:30 UTC 2008

Hello,

in the previous weeks we worked hard on our proposal for Multi-user
Gaming with XMPP that we would now like to present to this list [1]. It
is far from ready, but we hope to have covered the most important parts.
Some aspects of the protocol were even controversial in our working
group, so we are anxious to receive feedback.

One of these controversial issues is how to integrate our proposal with
MUC. Since the protocol makes significant use of MUC, we are unsure
whether to somehow extend MUC, to create a protocol very similar to MUC
and uses MUC only for chat (current approach) or to create a new
protocol that takes some parts (e.g. roles) from MUC.

In our proposal, the game service validates the turns it gets from the
clients and kicks misbehaving clients. Permission management is handled
a bit simpler than in MUC with only one association to the match
(affiliation).

We tried to stay flexible and keep room for extensibility. Features or
use cases, our protocol currently does not support should still be
possible (via separate XEPs).
These features include but are not limited to: (High)scores, time limits
(for turns) and other competition conditions (real fair matches).

Regards,
Torsten Grote

[1] http://pidgin-games.sf.net/xep/multi-user_gaming.html