[Standards] pubsub simplification

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Jul 29 14:18:01 UTC 2008

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> Dave Cridland wrote:
>> On Tue Jul 29 06:49:41 2008, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>> separated
>>> about
>>>
>>> I'm in favour of splitting collections, but not so much of splitting
>>> out presence - we spent quite a long time deciding that 163 should
>>> only be a profile of 60, from what I recall.
>>
>> As a suggestion - and I'm only highlighting options - we could split
>> out the fancier things into one or more new specifications, leaving
>> XEP-0060 as a core, with extra XEPs holding additional features, and
>> XEP-0163 binds XEP-0060 and a selection of brightly coloured coat
>> hangers into the profile that is PEP.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a good idea, mind - it's not clear to me if
>> this gives a net benefit or not - but it would keep XEP-0163's
>> "profile" status.
>
> I was thinking the same thing, indeed.

Right. So not all pubsub-related features would be defined in XEP-0060,
because certain "profiles" (the only example we have so far is PEP)
would define new node configuration options and the like. The result
would be that XEP-0060 defines the core (is that just "pub" and "sub"?)
whilst other specs define things like collections, presence integration,
filtered notifications, subscription options, management of subscription
requests by the node owner and other such administrative tasks, etc. So
we'd have a stripped-down XEP-0060 and a bunch of extensions to the
pubsub core.

Or at least that's how I understood our conversation in Portland.

/psa