[Standards] presence priority -1 issues

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jul 30 20:56:13 UTC 2008

On Wed Jul 30 20:40:13 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Dave Cridland wrote:
>> On Wed Jul 30 13:55:56 2008, Pedro Melo wrote:
>>> The most important part of -1 resources are their caps. For
>>> example,  I can have a calendar app logged in with my own jid,
>>> accepting some  namespace for calendar updates or meeting
>>> requests.
>>
>> Are you suggesting a sort of negative disco feature which
>> indicates that the XMPP entity is not an IM resource at all? Could
>> this be done with a suitable category/type? Moving forward, this
>> would allow clever clients to observe that it wasn't a IM client
>> capable of handling calendaring requests, but a dumb calendaring
>> bot working on behalf of the user.
>>
>> If you're not suggesting this, can I suggest it? :-)
>
> I think he's suggesting that the disco identity of your calendar
> would be something like this:
>
>   <identity category='automation' type='calendar'/>
>
> So you know that it's not something like this:
>
>   <identity category='client' type='pc'/>

That's what I was hoping he was suggesting.

Since if you see it's not a client, but an automaton, then you know
not to strike up a conversation with it.

Whereas a client/* presumably might have a human on the other end,
and so is reasonable to talk to under some circumstances.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/