[Standards] Questions about xhtml-im

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Jul 31 17:19:25 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 30 juillet 2008, Peter Saint-Andre a écrit :
> Jehan wrote:
> > Anyway for the part about semantic/structure versus style/display,
> > probably there can be discussions about this (and you already had
> > apparently), but even though I am completely partisan of structure, I
> > understood well the two points here which are that this XEP is for IM,
> > and that normal users cannot be asked to think about structure when they
> > just care about style.

I am also partisent of the structure.

Currently, most client supporting HTML-IM are just focussed on the style,
providing a toolbar with colors/fonts ....
This can be nice for few fancy stuff,  but a more interesting thing is to
emphase the text.

A better approach would be to have a toolbar with sementic buttons such
as 'emphasis', 'code', 'citation'.

It could also make use of a WIKI-like syntax

> I'd be willing to relax our usage of the Text Module so that we
> encourage more structural markup. As far as I can see, the following
> elements would be most useful:
>
> blockquote
> cite
> em
> strong

yes.

> In some applications I could also see an argument for:
>
> abbr
> acronym
> code
> dfn
> h1 through h6
> kbd
> pre
> Those are not forbidden in XHTML-IM right now, just not encouraged. But
> we could change that if we think it's a good idea.

I'd say that <code> or <pre> is important too.

Also make the style attribute not REQUIRED, because it's probably the most
complicated thing to implement.

And the title attribute is interesting too on <abbr/> and stuff, so OPTIONAL
would be better.

--
Olivier