[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Roster Versioning

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Mar 5 00:13:26 UTC 2008

> +1. I can't see any reason for the spec to require more than a
> increasing version number.

I would prefer if it were just an opaque string, certainly as far as the
client in concerned there is no need for it to do anything other than
store the most recent version identifier it has received and then return
that to the server when required (i.e. at login), only the server needs
to know what to do with it and this should certainly only be RECOMMENDED
or SUGGESTED/MAYBE and not MUST. What would happen in cases were the
version number needs to be reset to 0 because someone has such a busy
roster that over time they exhast the maximum integer value?, or if
maybe in future server implementors want to compress it somehow into hex
or something similar, it would be far far better to leave this flexible
and upto the server implementor on how they format the version identifier.

Richard