[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Roster Versioning

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Mar 5 15:55:09 UTC 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> If we change it to a SHOULD will that make people happier? We do
> something similar in server dialback (recommend an algorithm for key
> generation using HMAC-SHA256, but say you can use something else).

Here is revised text:

   The value of the 'version' attribute SHOULD be a non-negative
   integer representing a strictly increasing sequence number that
   is increased with any change to the roster (whether or not the
   client supports this extension) but MAY be a unique identifer that
   is opaque to the client but understood by the server. In any case,
   the 'version' attribute contained in roster pushes MUST be unique.

Can we stop painting this bike shed and move on? :)

https://stpeter.im/