[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Roster Versioning

juha.p.hartikainen at nokia.com juha.p.hartikainen at nokia.com
Wed Mar 5 21:37:26 UTC 2008

Hi!

I readed the latest version 0.0.3 and I'm little bit confused of
statement (or I have
missed something):

--- clip ---
The "roster diff" can be understood as follows:

   1. Imagine that the client had an active presence session for the
entire time between its cached roster version (in this case, 305) and
the new roster version (317).
   2. During that time, the client would have received roster pushes
related to roster versions 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314,
315, 316, and 317.
   3. However, some of those roster pushes might have contained
intermediate updates to the same roster item (e.g., changes in the
subscription state for bill at shakespeare.lit from "none" to "to" and from
"to" to "both").
   4. The roster result would not include all of the intermediate steps,
only the final result of all changes applied while the client was in
fact offline.

--- clip ---

Q: How many roster version have to server remember? In the xep 0.0.3
there is clear spec for client site implementation,
but server site is missing "server site requirements". If I keep
changing the roster add, remove few times
("on/off relationship") --> how many roster versions have to be server
must remember backwads 1...n?

Cheer's
<Juha>