[Standards] Whiteboard XEP, Gajim and GSoC2008

Joonas Govenius joonas.govenius at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 03:58:37 UTC 2008

Boyd Fletcher wrote:
> sending the entire document is a big show stopper for large group
> collaboration (especially if you are using a large number of
> whiteboard pages) and if your are using satellite/cellular
> communications (like is very common in military or 3rd world countries).
>
> we dealt with the problem by using sequence numbers and the client can
> request which numbers it wants to receive.

You and Fabio are referring to slightly different issues here:

1. Fabio is concerned about the bandwidth used for sending the state to
a client when it first joins the session. It would be higher by some
significant constant factor so this is probably a legitimate concern but
could be solved as I mentioned above; I just think it would be a little
premature at this point.

2. You are concerned about optimizing reconnects by taking advantage of
the state that the client already has. I gave this some thought and
there's actually no reason why SXE couldn't do basically the same thing
as your protocol:

The client that reconnects would send a "last-received-sender",
"last-received-id", and "last-sent-id" that identify the last <sxe/>
element that it received and the last <sxe/> element that it sent.

Assuming that that "last-sent" element came through, the joiner would
then only receive edits sent by others after the "last-received" element.

Only the server-side reflector (or bot) would be required to accommodate
these requests though because the clients aren't required to remember
details about who sent which edits.

Joonas