[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Roster Versioning

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Fri Mar 7 14:21:18 UTC 2008

Thanks for taking the time for the explanation, whilst I still think it
would be advantageous for clients to not gage any meaning from the
version ids (or whatever we are now going to call them) and just leave
all the logic to the server to deal with, i'm not too bothered as to
what format they are as as myself and others here have pointed out its
pretty much a server implementation issue and as Pedro mentioned the
"MAY be a unique identifer that is opaque to the client but understood
by the server" statement would seem to keep things open and allow enough
flexibility for us to do things in the best way for our implementations
(and luckily if I do choose to implement the ids as the increasing
integers it will be very easy and just a small change to the section
that is currently generating the timestamps).

Richard