[Standards] Negative priority

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Sun Mar 9 16:44:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm playing with bots with negative priority (you'll find one running
under my own JID) for automation.

What I've been noticing is that clients are not ready for this. Most
of them show my account as online when the only resource online is
the bot.

I would like to write a best practices XEP on how to deal with
negative priority resources, but I'm still not quite sure what
exactly are those best practices :).

So far, I think its fair to say that a negative priority resource
should be considered a "not for chat" or a "non-IM" resource, and
therefore should not be taken in account when deciding if the contact
is online.

Yet, those accounts needs to be "online" for Ad-hoc commands and to
take advantage of special capabilities that they offer. For example,
I could offer a "free time service" on a resource that has access to
my calendars.

Maybe we should clarify that "online" can be "online for IM" and
"online for Automation", and that clients, if they support only IM,
should just ignore negative resources.

Anyway, I'm not sure myself of what is best, but I think that we
should have something about this.

Any opinions on this?

Best regards,
--