[Standards] EXI as an XMPP stream compression method

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:03:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> At its meeting last week [1], the XMPP Council declined [2] to publish
>  the proposal [3] regarding use of Efficient XML Interchange [4] as an
>  XMPP stream compression method conforming to XEP-0138 [5]. The reason is
>  that we're not yet sure if EXI is even workable as a stream compression
>  method. We will seek input from one or more EXI experts regarding this
>  matter before moving forward with publication.

As a developer of a mobile client I say that it's unlikely I will ever
use EXI in this way, since it forces me to have two parsers, one
before the stream upgrade, the other after. I'd rather use EXI
exploiting the initial magic number allowing to start a stream
directly with the binary encoding.

bye

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.