[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Roster Versioning

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Mar 10 22:30:10 UTC 2008

Dave Cridland wrote:

> The IQ responses can be gotten rid of by sending these - and all -
> roster pushes as message stanzas instead. So, if your client uses
> XEP-0237, you're implicitly telling the server to send you roster pushes
> as <message/> stanzas. Now clients can legally not respond to roster
> push iq's, because they're not iq's anymore. Hoorah!
>
> We can get rid of per-push stanza wrapping overhead by allowing multiple
> items per push, too.
>
> Now what we have is that when you ask for your roster, you get a single
> <message/> based push containing all items, or else you get your iq
> result with the replacement roster. Hardly any overhead at all, now.
>
> Given that we're now handling multiple pushes, it seems fair to go a
> step further, and allow clients to have multiple items in a roster set.

Aha, it's one of *those*. Yes, a fancy-dancy "I know what I'm doing Mr.
Server so let's be modernistic and forget about all that old fuddy-duddy
XMPP 1.0 garbage, shall we?" feature! Joe and I talked about that the
other day for some other features (starttls and sasl without stream
restarts, thank you very much!). It's a fascinating concept and I plan
to write it up for starttls and sasl real soon now...

> I still think it'd be nice to go the final step and allow clients to
> specify a sequence value here to allow for lockless atomic sets, too.
>
> I'll write some text. :-)

Text is always appreciated, thanks! ;-)

https://stpeter.im/