[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Mon Mar 17 18:45:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 12:14 -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Andrew Plotkin wrote:
>
> > What happens if you tell a repeater to broadcast an <iq>?
> >
> > The naive outcome is that all the recipients send you an
> > <iq type='result'> directly, each with an ID that you've never heard
> > of. That will mess with most client libraries -- at least, the ones
> > I've seen; they expect IQ-results only to IQ-set or get, with
> > matching IDs.
> >
> > Conservative proposal: declare that you can only broadcast message
> > or presence.
>
> Good point.  Perhaps just a warning that you'll get multiple responses
> back, so you SHOULD NOT send IQs through the repeater unless you are
> willing to deal with iq responses to requests you didn't send.

Reading this spec, I assume that a server providing this functionality
has some kind of tight integration between the repeater service and the
part of the server responsible for the domain it acts on behalf of. In
that case, I assume that the service could also aggregate the responses.
Not sure if that is desirable, though.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm