[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Mon Mar 17 22:33:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> Nolan Eakins wrote:
>  >> Example 1. Stanza as sent to repeater
>  >
>  >>    <presence xmlns='jabber:client'
>  >>              from='poweruser at example.net/foo'
>  >>              to='e4df4399642aed42b579b05dc5c663aee27d6ec4 at repeater.example.com'
>  >>              type='probe'/>
>
>  We had that in version 0.0.0.5. :)
>
>  The problem is that you can't send disco requests or other management
>  tasks to the repeater. But you could do that by sending those requests
>  to the repeater service and specifying the particular repeater you're
>  interested in.
>
>  Another thing is that the IQ semantics are helpful here -- the repeater
>  validates that it has sent all the stanzas and then sends you an IQ result.

I fail to understand the gain there. AFAIK, nothing else in Jabber
provides such an ack, not even for a single message.

Personally, I'm failing to understand this prevalence of using <iq/>
to send messages here and in pubsub. It really boils down to: given a
basic client that understands some disco, how can I make use of this
repeater w/o using the XML console?

Presumably via disco and perhaps data forms a client can manage a set
of repeaters. No new code is needed. It would give me a JID that I
could add to my roster (maybe that gets done automagically?) or
directly send a message to w/ some copy and paste.

As is, this is one more XEP that must be specifically supported by
both clients and servers. Yay!

- Nolan Eakins

--
SemanticGap(R) - http://www.semanticgap.com/