[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Mon Mar 17 22:47:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mar 17, 2008, at 4:28 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Stanza Repeaters
>
> Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP extension that enables
> optimization of interdomain traffic that is intended for delivery
> to multiple recipients, using the concept of a stanza repeater.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept
> this proposal as an official XEP.

I'm sure there is some security implication that I'm missing, but why
do we need to make the hash of the repeater ID so tightly coupled
with the recipients list?

I understand the need of keeping the ID unique but I fail to see what
else is gained by this complexity.

On the other hand, the use of an ID that doesn't change each time we
update the recipients list would be easier to work it in the presence
of multiple senders.

Regarding the use of repeaters for <presence>, maybe we should just
use the domain of the users as a virtual repeater, like PEP is a
virtual pubsub at the users domain. This was suggested two years ago,
btw.

The roster at the remote host could be used as the distribution list,
no need for costly updates. Just reverse-query the roster if your DB
system provides that (easy for SQL-based rosters, not as simple for
LDAP-based ones).

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo