[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 00:36:40 UTC 2008

On Mar 18, 2008, at 4:25 PM, Pedro Melo wrote:
> The repeaters concept doesn't solve the privacy list interactions
> either.

Why not?  For each list of folks that a server wants to send presence
to, it creates a list.  If that list has different people on it for
different reasons, it creates different lists.  In the case of
presence, the server could, in the face of privacy lists being turned
on, create a presence-out list and a presence-probe list for the user
in question at each site where you have more than N users, where N
should be determined through some sort of analysis at where the trade-
off point is.  I'm betting it's at least 10.

Yes, this could lead to **lots** of lists.  We better a) get the
protocol right, b) make sure it's going to help, and c) implement it
carefully.

--
Joe Hildebrand