[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Mar 21 14:15:44 UTC 2008

Philipp Hancke wrote:

> But while writing a script to calculate those numbers I found an
> interesting claim in the draft:
> (S2) Number of outbound presence notifications = (S1*C4).
> (T1) Number of unavailable presence notifications = 1 per online contact
>  (C4).
> Why are those restricted to 'online contacts'? As far as I can see, RFC
> 3920 says
> "in which case the server to which the entity is connected SHOULD
>  broadcast or multiplex that stanza to all subscribing entities."
> I don't see any "online" in there.

Your server sends unavailable presence only to people to its internal
"avails list" (people to whom it has sent online presence based on probe
data or to whom you have sent directed presence). It doesn't need to
send unavailable to everyone who has subscribed to your presence. Or, at
least, that's an optimization many server implementations perform.
Perhaps it is not clearly described in RFC 3921 or rfc3921bis.

https://stpeter.im/