[Standards] XEP-0175: Contact Addresses

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Mar 21 14:19:08 UTC 2008

Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 18, 2008, at 4:37 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Pedro Melo wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> during the latest DevCon, one of the issues about deployment was contact
>>> addresses. The current XEP for that is 0157.
>>>
>>> I think that 157 breaks the current disco#info usage pattern. We use
>>> disco#info to discover which protocols an entity supports, not the get
>>> the information directly (exception for basic  <identity >). So
>>> receiving the entire contact information in the disco#info reply seems
>>> wrong, because on most requests, we don't need it.
>>>
>>> I think we should use a pubsub node instead. This would give us all the
>>> benefits of pubsub, and we could probably implement this faster, given
>>> that pubsub and pep are starting to get deployed in latest releases of
>>> some servers like Openfire and Ejabberd.
>>>
>>> The schema for the information could be reused  from XEP-0157 or
>>> XEP-0154 if that one comes back from the dead.
>>
>> Why not just put this in one of the following?
>>
>> 1. server vCard (XEP-0054)
>>
>> 2. server profile (XEP-0154)
>
> I'm ok with either, and I think any of them is better than xep-0157.
>
> Profiles seem to be in limbo right now, and vCards are widely deployed,
> so I think that server vCard is the best one right now.

vCard is not very extensible on this point -- we can include a JabberID
via our hack of vcard-xml and I suppose that's OK. Perhaps we can even
include multiple JabberIDs. :)

Profiles are in limbo only because they've received less attention than
technologies on which they depend (e.g., PEP). But now that work is done
on the preliminaries, perhaps we can revisit profiles.

https://stpeter.im/