[Standards] XEP-0175: Contact Addresses

Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Sat Mar 22 03:00:53 UTC 2008

Peter Saint-Andre typeth:
| vCard is not very extensible on this point -- we can include a JabberID
| via our hack of vcard-xml and I suppose that's OK. Perhaps we can even
| include multiple JabberIDs. :)

What about a list of URIs, so you can put all xmpp:jids, OpenID,
and ahum URIs of other protocols in there next to each other.
Possibly in the order of preference, which otherwise would be missing.

Also I ran into a problem parsing this format, as it isn't semantically
equivalent to vCard:

    <TEL><VOICE/><HOME/><NUMBER>303-555-1212</NUMBER></TEL>

I can't access it using an XPath-kind of approach as I could if it
were written like this:

    <TEL><VOICE><HOME><NUMBER>303-555-1212</NUMBER></HOME></VOICE></TEL>

Regular vCard syntax is TEL;VOICE;HOME which gives me a clear hierarchy
and at the same time a simple string to access. I miss that simplicity
in XEP-0054.

I decided not to handle this special case and simply return anything
that has <NUMBER> in <TEL>, which may randomly turn out to be a voice
or fax number out of 5 possibly provided numbers. Not a nice solution.

It's probably too late to fix this, but I can try to ask anyway.