[Standards] alternate SRV records?

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Sat Mar 22 14:43:56 UTC 2008

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> 1. Let's say you want to connect to a MUC service. Does it make sense to
> have an SRV record for that? Such as:
>
> _xmpp-groupchat._tcp.conference.jabber.org 5269 athena.jabber.org
>
> 2. Let's say you want to connect to a pubsub service that pumps out
> notifications. How about this?
>
> _xmpp-notification._tcp.pubsub.jabber.org 5269 athena.jabber.org

I think that we should recommend srv records also for services which run
on subdomains. Most server admins setup srv records only for the main
server. But I don't think it makes much sense to come up with new
prefixes, because groupchat and muc are just services which require s2s,
so I would use _xmpp-server for them.

Alex