[Standards] alternate SRV records?

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 04:36:28 UTC 2008

On Mar 22, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>> 1. Let's say you want to connect to a MUC service. Does it make
>> sense to
>> have an SRV record for that? Such as:
>> _xmpp-groupchat._tcp.conference.jabber.org 5269 athena.jabber.org
>> 2. Let's say you want to connect to a pubsub service that pumps out
>> notifications. How about this?
>> _xmpp-notification._tcp.pubsub.jabber.org 5269 athena.jabber.org
>
> I think that we should recommend srv records also for services which
> run on subdomains. Most server admins setup srv records only for the
> main server. But I don't think it makes much sense to come up with
> new prefixes, because groupchat and muc are just services which
> require s2s, so I would use _xmpp-server for them.

+1.  You can always disco#info to the address to find out what it is.

If you really had to do this, it should probably be some sort of NAPTR
query, anyhow, so that you could look up _xmpp-
notification._tcp.jabber.org and have it give you back xmpp:pubsub.jabber.com
, which you could then SRV.  This would be useful in the edge case
where I'll allow you to talk to my pubsub, but not to my IM domain, so
that I can't disco#items your IM domain to find the other related
services.

--
Joe Hildebrand