[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Repeaters

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 04:48:06 UTC 2008

On Mar 22, 2008, at 5:51 AM, Tobias Markmann wrote:
> One question: Why couldn't these features have been build into
> XEP-0033 instead of writing a new XEP?

The intent of XEP-33 was to mirror the multi-address approach of
SMTP.  I actually took the original field names directly from RFC
2822, IIRC.  Repeaters are more like a mailing list, if there was a
standardized protocol for lists to be created on the fly.  Seeing as
how the intent was so different, it made sense to start from scratch.

Putting my implementor hat on, I really dislike it when specs have
drastic changes that could have been put in a separate XEP (I'm
looking at you, XEP-60), since it makes managing compatibility for
shipping code quite difficult.  Some guidelines I strive for in
protocol design: Proper layers.  Extend by extension.  Break
compatibility explicitly, never implicitly.  Be willing to admit when
something new is needed.

--
Joe Hildebrand