[Standards] mobile strengths and weaknesses

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:39:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

>  So do you think that we need to define a generic session pause feature,
>  or is it handled well enough already in BOSH?

We need it, at least for discriminating between these two cases:
- the client unadvertitely loses the connection and we don't know
whether and when it will become available
- the client itself suspends the connection and tells the CM something
like: I will reconnect within 15', don't bother me with new messages,
unless there is something coming from the contacts in the urgent list;
and if I don't connect within 60' consider this session lost

Still don't know how to exactly handle these case at server side,
since we haven't enough use cases yet, but I'm sure that we must be
able to distinguish between "connection errors" and voluntary
suspends.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com