[Standards] mobile strengths and weaknesses

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:54:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

>  Yes that makes sense. But it sounds as if we don't yet know enough to
>  define session hush and session pause very well. Perhaps we need to talk
>  with more people who care about this kind of feature (as I did recently
>  at the eComm conference).

Indeed suspend is not difficult, it's just one more "command" to be
added to stanza acknowledgments (or an attribute to the existing <r/>
or <a/>), simply telling the server to suspend the connection (timings
can be negotiated at session level, such as we already do in BOSH with
a careful setting of "wait" and "inactivity" attributes).
Hush is the one that is difficult, since it is a sort of dynamic
privacy list in which we set which messages can be considered
important and at with which importance. Hush moreover has a meaning
both when connected (e.g. I'd like to delay some messages for
optimizing compression) and when disconnected (which messages can
start a new connection?), and for this reason I think it fits a
completely different XEP and we can wait for it...

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com