[Standards] switching between BOSH and TCP?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Mar 28 17:46:56 UTC 2008

I've been chatting with someone off-list about mobile optimizations and
he suggested that we might want to build in the ability to seamlessly
switch between BOSH and TCP. For example you would use the TCP binding
when you have a high volume of activity (active chat sessions with
multiple contacts, Jingle negotiation, etc.) but then go back to BOSH
when the activity level drops below some threshold.

So a few questions:

1. Is BOSH acceptable in practice for high-activity periods?

2. Do people think that this kind of transport-switch will solve
existing problems?

3. Would the costs (complexity of switching) outweigh the benefits?

I think we might want to consider something like this in the future if
we discover that BOSH doesn't work well in practice, but IMHO we need
more deployment experience with BOSH before we can know the answer.

https://stpeter.im/