[Standards] switching between BOSH and TCP?

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Fri Mar 28 20:45:11 UTC 2008

Justin Karneges schrieb:
> On Friday 28 March 2008 10:46 am, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> I've been chatting with someone off-list about mobile optimizations and
>> he suggested that we might want to build in the ability to seamlessly
>> switch between BOSH and TCP. For example you would use the TCP binding
>> when you have a high volume of activity (active chat sessions with
>> multiple contacts, Jingle negotiation, etc.) but then go back to BOSH
>> when the activity level drops below some threshold.
>
> This seems silly to me.  BOSH is used when TCP is not possible.  If both are
> possible, you always pick TCP regardless of activity level.

I agree with Justin. And IMHO BOSH makes no sense on a mobile phone when
you have the ability to use TCP. It will also consume much more traffic
than a TCP connection.
BOSH is great for web clients where TCP is not possible. Or for networks
where you have access to the Internet only over HTTP proxies and HTTP
CONNECT is disabled in the proxy.

Alex