[Standards] switching between BOSH and TCP?

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Sat Mar 29 18:56:33 UTC 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 8:04 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008 10:46 am, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> I've been chatting with someone off-list about mobile
>> optimizations and
>> he suggested that we might want to build in the ability to seamlessly
>> switch between BOSH and TCP. For example you would use the TCP
>> binding
>> when you have a high volume of activity (active chat sessions with
>> multiple contacts, Jingle negotiation, etc.) but then go back to BOSH
>> when the activity level drops below some threshold.
>
> This seems silly to me.  BOSH is used when TCP is not possible.  If
> both are
> possible, you always pick TCP regardless of activity level.

This might be true for desktop clients, maybe. But the ability to
drop the TCP session and reconnect later without loosing the XMPP
session is extremely useful for clients (even desktops clients) that
change IP addresses often (think 3G or Wifi roaming, even inside the
same office).

So yes, BOSH is not that silly. At least until we get XMPP session
pause/resume over TCP.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo