[Standards] XEP-136 and XEP-59 implementation comments

Alexander Tsvyashchenko lists at ndl.kiev.ua
Sun Mar 30 10:20:28 UTC 2008

Peter,

Quoting Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:

> [...]

... skipped ...

>> Of course I do not claim to be representative user here: I use ICQ and,
>> especially, MSN gateways not that much recently, but error messages from
>> gateways (wich comprise all of the "direct" messages from these domain
>> JIDs) are coming regardless whether I use these gateways or not.
>
> Why are you logging error messages? :)

Yes, exactly!!! ;-)

> Yes but I think this issue applies more broadly (e.g., to MUC and
> privacy lists also). So we need to think up a more general solution.

Do you think the approach with adding in all these cases attribute
like "exact" or "exactMatch" (so that JID is treated literally instead
of like mask) is too hacky?

There's one other idea I have, but it may break backward compatibility
and I'm not sure if it doesn't break something else: what if JIDs like
'domain.com' are treated like 'wildcards' (like it is now), but
'@domain.com' are considered to be exact matches of domain JID (so,
basically, JID with empty user name)?

The same for resources: 'user at domain.com' is treated like wildcard,
but 'user at domain.com/' is exact match of bare JID?

Good luck!                                     Alexander