[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: IO DATA

Johannes Wagener johannes.wagener at med.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 31 22:06:29 UTC 2008

Hi

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>> Do you send it all through XMPP? Is it all in small chunks as in the
>> examples you wrote, ore there may be also bigger chunks of data? I'm
>> asking because I think that everybody here would like to know more
>> about real life examples of binary data transfer through XMPP. Keep us
>> informed about the performance and the setup you use.
>>

> Good question. Typically I think that computational processes might want
> to include binary blobs. The question is how best to do that -- e.g., a
> <data/> element per XEP-0231 or a reference to a URI where the data can
> be retrieved via HTTP or FTP or XMPP or whatever.
Yes, that's true: many real life examples will have to transport binary
data somehow. In fact one of the Examples in the xep proposal (in
section 4.4) makes use of XEP-0231 (encrypting a wav file into an mp3 file).
But as XML is very flexible itself we can think about various legal ways
of passing data via the stream. For example it might be possible to make
use of XEP-0065 SOCKS5 Bytestream or maybe reference data via HTTP/FTP.
Initially we thought about specifying this, but then we thought, that
there is already enough flexibility coming with XML. It is possible for
the client to discover the io schemata of the ad hoc service io data
container. These schemata can hint to the way of data transfer (for
example namespace forXEP 0231) compatible with the service. Example: 4.2
Plenty options here.