[Standards] [API] Proposed XMPP Extension: IO DATA

Johannes Wagener johannes.wagener at med.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 31 22:21:13 UTC 2008

Fabio Forno schrieb:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:29 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>
>>  >
>>  > Let's try to RESTify it in order to have a more general solution:
>>
>>  What is the particular benefit here of having a RESTful interface?
>>

> An exercise, since the XEP was referencing  REST ;)
> Jokes apart, REST is paradigm that clearly separates the roles in a
> distributed application, trying to leave out from the transport any
> aspect that is application dependent, such as session handling. I'm
> not a RESTologist, or a REST worshiper, but there is good common sense
> in it, and when designing a protocol it is wise to give a look to
> these principles.
While thinking about the session I realized that it is possible to do
this behaviour like put/delete/... with the io data container. For
example it should be possible to write schemata for io of io data
container that define/offers certain actions like post get delete put
and may contain a <header> and <body> and even the URIs you suggested.

You could even run the ad hoc command in a one execute/complete step way
- thus the sessionid of Ad-Hoc Commands would play no role. I think this
way you can RESTify the service, too.