[Standards] Scale or not?

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Mon May 5 17:17:40 UTC 2008

On Monday 05 May 2008 9:04 am, Eric Th wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> XMPP defines multi-server communication for cross domain scenario,
> What about multi-machine for single domain scenario, Or is this just a
> problem of various server implemetations?

A single XMPP domain can be scaled across many machines.  All the major XMPP
server implementations support this.  However, there is no standard protocol
for communication between machines in a single-domain scenario.  This means
if you are clustering many machines for a single domain, you cannot mix and
match server types (e.g. you can't have ejabberd on one node and Openfire on
another node), but I don't think anyone really considers this a problem.

-Justin