[Standards] About Fast Reconnect

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Mon May 5 22:31:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM, az lists <azlist1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been googling a litle and it seems that this issue has been discussed
> during one of the xmpp guru's meeting in Brussels earlier this year. A
> proposed solution was to implement a fast reconnect mechanism.
>  I wanted to know what was the evolution on this side of the standards
> definition.

Basically stalled. However a standard is just a first step, then you
have to wait for server support, and time will pass. The only working
solution for these things now is a BOSH connection manager that keeps
the session alive also when disconnected.

As far as I know roster retrieval is mandatory for a resource if
> it wants to be notified of new presence messages "If an available resource
> does not request the roster during a session, the server MUST NOT send it
> presence subscriptions and associated roster updates." The problem here is
> that I need the client to receive roster and presence updates even if the
> roster wasn't requested after re-authenticating to the xmpp server.

It's about presence subscriptions, not general presence. If you don't
download the roster you are implicitly saying that you don't want to
handle it, so any update is filtered out.
Instead you are still able to receive presence, just send your own first.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com