[Standards] stream restarts

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue May 6 21:56:45 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 12:37 pm, Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> * gets us closer to "real xml"

I'd have thought so too, but upon closer analysis I found that the removal of
stream restarts would not get us closer to "real xml".  Rather, it would make
things worse.

Sure, any psuedo text about XMPP will look very pretty:

  <stream:stream>
    <starttls/>
    [TLS handshake]
    <message/>
  </stream:stream>

But this is deceptive.  The resulting protocol flow is even less like XML and
is in general harder to implement.  This will not stop the "real xml"
complainers, and in fact we might even gain some new ones.

-Justin