[Standards] stream restarts

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed May 7 17:55:18 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 10:42 am, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2008, Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> > * this saves us some round trips
>
> No it doesn't, if you pipeline requests and responses. The spec does not
> forbid this. For an example of extreme pipelining, see
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-February/017934.html
> though in practice you probably don't want to be that aggressive /
> optimistic about pipelining around a request that might fail. Stream
> restarts can't fail, so they can be pipelined.

Yes, I would like to see pipelining addressed in the spec.  Right now it is
unclear if this technique is legal.  The spec does not forbid it, but I don't
think that is enough, is it?

I'm also not sure what parts of XMPP could be declared as pipelinable.
Certainly the opening <stream> exchange, but I don't know if the rest can be
done this way, given the asynchronous nature of elements exchanged in the XML
stream.

-Justin