[Standards] stream restarts

Stephen Pendleton stephenpendleton at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 15:40:43 UTC 2008

I think the reasons are:

- There is no reason have have stream restarts because the reasons they were introduced ended up not to be correct.
- The protocol "looks" better. Fewer stanzas are needed during the login/authentication process I believe.
- Some implementations will not need to throw away/reset their parsers anymore. Currently this is necessary for all implementations that I know of and those using the style of architecture I show below will no longer need to do this because the XML parser will be presented with a complete XML stream, instead of multiple ones. I don't think we should be changing the core protocol based on implementations though, so this is less important to me.

Also, it keeps Peter busy. Everyone knows he just hangs around in Colorado all day thinking about ways of inflicting Twitter on the XMPP world! :-)