[Standards] XEP-0060 + "Atom over XMPP" as base for Open Twitter?

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Thu May 8 22:47:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
wrote:
>On 05/08/2008 3:36 AM, Ralph Meijer wrote:
>> It is kind of
>> arbitrary whether a blog is micro, mini, macro or whatever. In the end
>> it is usually just a blog, albeit with smaller pieces of text. Size and
>> payload type (plain text vs. (x)html) are not enforced are they?
> Well I'd think that a particular service might enforce size
> limits on posts, e.g. by truncating the text at 140 characters.

The proto-xep doesn't explicitly restrict the use of Atom elements. Can we
assume that it is permitted to use elements from Atom that are not in the
examples? For instance, if I wanted to use this protocol for something
"larger" than a microblog entry, couldn't I just insert a summary or content
element or anything else that is permitted by Atom? If so, I suggest that
you simply state that the size constraint of 140 characters is enforced on
the title element only. You would also say that publishers should expect
that many clients would only display the title.

Also: Does anyone know, is the Twitter limit 140 "characters" or 140
"bytes"? characters != bytes...

bob wyman