[Standards] XEP-136 and XEP-59 implementation comments: threading

Alexander Tsvyashchenko lists at ndl.kiev.ua
Sun May 11 17:45:50 UTC 2008

Peter,

>> 3) 'exactmatch' is currently present only in 'chat' element: however, it
>> doesn't look like it belongs there, as 'chat' element is in fact not
>> used for matching.
>
> Isn't it? It is used to specify the JID with whom you have been chatting
> (via the 'with' attribute).

Well, probably I'm nitpicking a bit here, but what I mean is that
'chat' element is used only to represent some collection - that's it,
it does not have any "actions" semantic associated, including
"matching", so in other words it's only "data" element. On the other
hand "commands" elements (such as 'remove' or 'list') are elements
that are associated with actions: i.e. list collections or remove them
appropriately, and this is where "matching" makes sense as
modification to the behavior of the main "action" represented by
element.

>> Instead, it should belong to commands description
>> (such as 'remove' or 'list' elements) and in preferences (such as 'item'
>> element).
>
> Yes, I think <remove/> and <list/> make sense. I'm not so sure about
> <item/> because I don't think that is used for any wildcards.

It is, because you might want to specify preferences for the specific
domain JID, not for all full JIDs matching this domain JID (remember
my original example about suppressing auto-archiving of messages from
icq.example.com? ;-)

Good luck!                                     Alexander