[Standards] XEP-0231

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed May 14 13:12:19 UTC 2008

On 05/14/2008 6:04 AM, Philip Hannent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My apologies if this is not the correct place to talk about this.

This is the correct place. Welcome!

> I have just been trying out a patch for Pidgin which enables sending of
> custom emoticons on the xmpp protocol:
> http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/5627
>
> The patch works great

Super. Are details available regarding the exact protocol used? Can
people build "bundles" of custom emoticons to offer for general use?

> however it implements:
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0231.html
>
> Which is still experimental.  My question is really what is required to
> get this into a draft stage so that it could be used?

What is required is for the XMPP Extensions Editor (c'est moi) to issue
a Last Call and for the XMPP Council to vote on advancing it to Draft.
We've been planning to do that soon because some anti-spam measures
we're working on (XEP-0158) need to include images in data forms
(XEP-0221) so that we can send CAPTCHAs and other such data over the wire.

So expect a Last Call real soon now. You can help by commenting on the
three specs referenced above. :)

https://stpeter.im/