[Standards] MUC History clearing

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Thu May 15 16:07:22 UTC 2008

On May 15, 2008, at 16:03, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On 5/15/08 5:53 AM, "Tomasz Sterna" <tomek at xiaoka.com> wrote:
>
>> Dnia 2008-05-15, czw o godzinie 11:21 +0200, Andreas Monitzer pisze:
>>> Well, no, not just bots. In a typical chat client, you have a list
>>> of
>>> users in the channel and would like to click on them, then activate
>>> "kick" from some list/some button/etc and don't have to fill out
>>> some
>>> form for that.
>>
>> Isn't this an UI issue?
>
> That's the way I was thinking about it.  I assumed that if there was a
> jid-multi field, it could be populated with the currently-selected
> participants.  Kick often pulls up a dialog today, to ask for the
> reason.
> The UI could decide whether to even show the jid-multi field; if
> not, the
> resulting dialog would end up looking pretty similar to the existing
> one.

Still, as long as there's no semantic meaning attached to the form,
the client can only take a wild guess at the meaning of that field.
For example, it could be an invite action, where putting in somebody
already on the MUC would be totally pointless.
Esp. when you hide that field, then you can only invite people that
are already in the chat...

This reminds me of certain web browsers that automatically fill in the
user's address when they see a text field prefixed by "Address:", even
though it might mean something like IP-address.

andy