[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0234 (Jingle File Transfer)

Tim Julien tjulien at limewire.com
Wed May 21 19:18:44 UTC 2008

So, I'm confused about some of the transport negotiation stuff.

In first scenario (section 3.1) the negotiation occurs after
session-accept - which is counter to every Jingle spec that has come out
so far: typically both <description> and <transport> are negotiated as a
pre-requisite to session-accept and going into ACTIVE. (I'll bet it was
done this way because content-replace isn't currently allowed in
PENDING, even though the other specs are using it there).

In the second scenario (section 3.2) the negotiation occurs before the
session-accept.  This follows the pattern of previous Jingle specs - but
isn't consistent with section 3.1.

I really like the concepts of "Fallback" (3.1) and "Transport Selection"
(3.2). Being able to negotiate *which* transport type to use as opposed
to just negotiating connectivity within a *one* pre-set transport type.
  We haven't seen that yet from the other Jingle specs, but I really
like it.  It's analogous to the listing of multiple <payload-type>'s in
Jingle Audio RTP, and both parties agree on one.

-Tim Julien