[Standards] Pub/Sub & RSS

Kelly S kellyrocks at live.ca
Thu May 22 04:09:53 UTC 2008

Thanks for the reply!

I took a look at what your saying about NodeID and I understand a bit more clearly now. Wow the Pub/Sub spec is large!

Anyways. I'm thinking of writing a service where users can "subscribe" to feeds off the web. A service will be monitoring all "feeds" and pulling the RSS/Atom/whatever off of the web and populating the Pub/Sub nodes in batch so users get notifications.

So really the service will create the new node to represent the news feed if its not already found in the Pub/Sub query and then add it to its "queue" of feeds to poll.

I'm not quite sure what XEP to use to allow a user to "request" pulling of a feed. I haven't figured that part out yet.

I'm also not sure if I want to mix Atom nodes with RSS nodes etc. I could create 1 format to use for the "entry" and transform them to all match but for sites which add extra metadata to entries such as Digg with its DiggCount I would like to maintain that. That is the beauty of XML :)

That way Jabber clients who understand extensible items can display them.

I like the idea of the NodeID being the feeds url because then this "polling" service can use the feeds URL easily as the SET after downloading content.

Any suggestions / recommendations would be great to hear!Another item I am unclear about is as I am polling for news data, how can I easily check if an "entry" exists already? I'd rather not have to keep a cache somewhere of all the items I have created already.

Although performance is going to suck if I have to check every entry before inserting. Is there a way to batch insert, and disallow duplicate entries based on *something* like entry title or something?

It's nice to be back in Jabber land :) I'm back into the old mindset where I have a ZILLION ideas rushing into my head about all the crazy things I can do with these XEPs lol.

Any help would be great!

Thanks so much!