[Standards] Jingle: content-replace during PENDING state

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed May 28 18:41:02 UTC 2008

This is the first in my series of posts on Jingle. More soon.

According to version 0.25 of XEP-0166, use of the content-replace action
is forbidden during the PENDING state. However, XEP-0176 (ICE-UDP) uses
the content-replace action during the PENDING state:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0176.html#protocol-acceptance

In XEP-0176, this usage maps to nomination of the candidates to be used
in ICE, see section 2.6 of draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-19.

However, in ICE this nomination is done over STUN, not via SIP/SDP.
Therefore I think the content-replace action is unnecessary in XEP-0176
(since nomination in the Jingle ICE-UDP transport will also occur over
STUN and does not need to happen in the signalling channel).

Unless there are objections, I will update XEP-0176 accordingly (a usage
inherited by some of the examples in XEP-0167 and XEP-0180, which will
be harmonized with the modified XEP-0176).

https://stpeter.im/