[Standards] Jingle: one RTP application type to bind them all?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu May 29 03:12:45 UTC 2008

Back in April, Olivier Crête questioned whether we really need separate
application types for RTP audio (XEP-0167) and RFC video (XEP-0180):

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-April/018554.html

Olivier suggested that we could simply negotiate one RTP "channel" and
use it for anything that RTP can do -- voice, video, real-time text (RFC
4103), etc. I have not seen a lot of enthusiasm for this idea, but I
would like to make sure that we have consensus on keeping things as-is
before moving forward with the Jingle specs. If you have feedback on
this issue, please weigh in on the standards at xmpp.org list.

Thanks!

https://stpeter.im/