[Standards] Jingle: one RTP application type to bind them all?

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Thu May 29 19:55:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 20:38 +0100, Robert McQueen wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Back in April, Olivier Crête questioned whether we really need separate
> > application types for RTP audio (XEP-0167) and RFC video (XEP-0180):
> >
> > http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-April/018554.html
> >
> > Olivier suggested that we could simply negotiate one RTP "channel" and
> > use it for anything that RTP can do -- voice, video, real-time text (RFC
> > 4103), etc. I have not seen a lot of enthusiasm for this idea, but I
> > would like to make sure that we have consensus on keeping things as-is
> > before moving forward with the Jingle specs. If you have feedback on
> > this issue, please weigh in on the standards at xmpp.org list.
>
> I think I'm in favour of this, given the two XEPs seem to be copies of
> each other. We could just have one RTP/AVP description XEP, with a media
> type field. I discussed this earlier with Peter:

> Robert McQueen: and I /really/ don't think you need a profile thing
> Robert McQueen: we definitely imply RTP/AVP - and if we're not doing AVP
> we're doing maybe SAVP, in which case we need to signal some keys
> Robert McQueen: so we can cross that bridge when we come to it - maybe
> throw a sub-namespace in with srtp key negotiation stuff in it

Apart from RTP/AVP, there is also RTP/AVPF (and the RTP/SAVPF) defined
in RFC4585, that is basically the same as RTP/AVPF but with more
frequent rtcp feedback. That RFC also defines the extra "a:rtcp-fb"
media attribute... which could be added to the XEP. That said, I don't
know if anyone actually implements this or how useful it is.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Collabora Ltd