[Standards] NEW: XEP-0243 (XMPP Server Compliance 2009)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu May 29 23:10:37 UTC 2008

On Wed May 28 23:24:13 2008, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.1 of XEP-0243 (XMPP Server Compliance 2009) has been
> released.
>
> Abstract: This document defines XMPP server compliance levels for
> 2009.
>
> Changelog: Initial published version, incorporating Council
> feedback. (psa)
>
> Diff: N/A

A few notes:

1) I talked to Isode's marketing department, and the consensus was
that having "Basic" and "Intermediate" doesn't make much sense.
Having "Standard" and "Advanced" is likely to get more buy-in -
nobody wants to call themselves Basic (It sounds like "Rubbish"), and
Intermediate implies an Advanced somewhere. (The goal here would be
that Standard is relatively easy for newcomers to get to, Advanced is
where we want everyone to get to soon - inserting an Intermediate is
okay later).

2) Also from our marketing dept: It's only a certification level if
there's a certificate. Compliance levels are okay, even without
formal compliance testing.

3) In other news, I'm still not sure about In-Band Registration being
required anywhere. It's not because it's hard to do, it's because I
don't think it's worth having a required feature that won't be needed
nor used by the vast majority of deployments. I can see it's a good
plan for public servers, of course.

4) I think that, realistically, we should promote deployment of PEP -
therefore, this ought to be there. Changing Intermediate to Advanced
helps here, since we can push boundaries further.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/