[Standards] New XMPP Use Case: Private Media Networks

Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Fri May 30 18:12:56 UTC 2008

Dave Cridland wrote:
> One thing that does immediately ring alarm bells for me, personally,
> is that the design conflates several orthogonal aspects of
> inter-device communication.  There's a number of reasons I don't
> like this, in particular because if other protocols and/or profiles
> want to use these, they'd have to reference your XEP piecewise,
> which makes these new XEPs harder to follow.

After some thinking, I guess I will split my proposal into three XEPs:

1. Service Provider including section 4. I will also add
   variable monitoring to it.

2. Client-to-Client Communication including section 6. After reading
   some more XEPs, I guess jingle is the way to go to open the stream
   between clients. I will change that.

3. Authorization Service will include sections 7 and 8.

Sections 3 and 5 will be moved to one of these three, I'm not sure
now.

I would like to start with the first one, sending it to the XMPP
council next week. One question: the doc says I should send it to
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/. But looking at that dir, I see
only html files. Doesn't it make more sense to upload the xml file?
What is the correct way to do this?

Dirk

--
Earn cash in your spare time - blackmail friends.