[Standards] Stanza Size Limits (was Re: [jdev] Communicate between two client instances of the same ID)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Sep 4 15:11:04 UTC 2008

On Thu Sep  4 15:30:53 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Pedro Melo
>> <melo at simplicidade.org> wrote:
>>> Sure but as a server admin I would not admit a client negotiating
>>> a larger
>>> stanza than my own C2S or S2S limits.
>>
>> Sorry - I'm jumping in mid-thread again, but I don't remember
>> seeing
>> this discussed.
>> If stanza sizes are a stream feature, what's the work flow where
>> one
>> server wants to s2s with another server with a lower stanza size
>> (given that its clients could be sending full-size stanzas)?
>
> Gosh, do we really need all this complexity? Negotiating per-user
> limits seems unnecessary to me.

Not per-user. Kevin means, I think:

C1 <--C2S:MTU=1000--> S1 <--S2S:MTU=800--> S2 <--S2C:MTU=500--> C2

All C1 knows is that a stanza is allowed to be 1000. S1 thinks it can
be 800. How does C1 decide that to send to C2, it needs to send an
MTU of 500? Or at least, how does it do this without PTMU, which'd
suck quite a bit?

And two questions of my own:

What is the optimal size for a stanza?
Why doesn't it depend on contention of the XML stream?

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/